Tuesday 31 March 2015

The Art Of Assumptions



It was one of those fairytale story like relationships. Boy meets girl and yeah life goes on.
Weeks went by. The odd thing on both side was that we only saw each other every second week. I never really noticed this until about 3 months into the relationship. Even the way we called each other, we only talked during office hours and we both seem to never call each other in the evenings. And yet I always received my good morning texts without failure every time. Coming to think of it, she only came to my place from 08:00am and she left exactly at 16:00pm when she came over on the weekend. I mean regardless if it was raining, hot , even if we were in the middle of drink or food, that was our window period. I obviously didn't mind because I knew I can always make plans for later because she wouldn't be around any way.

Then just that particular night where I needed to sleep she called & told me she was outside my apartment, she claimed she was passing by  & thought to just visit me for a few minutes before she went to her house. It was then when I realized that I’ve never been to her place, I didn't even know how it was from mine and who she lived with. Our conversations never got that far, as I was about to ask how she got to my apartment late at night she broke down into tears. “I no longer have a place to stay” she was mumbling in the midst of her cry, when I saw them rolling down her eyes like dew on a window of an overloaded bus something said to me she needs to talk. I had to play the shrink, something I didn't expect from her since I had my own assumptions. First thing that came to my mind was coffee, it had to be the strongest I've ever made because I knew that’s how she likes it. As she was getting herself together & wiping her tears her phone rang, she just took a glance at it only once and didn't answer. I couldn't even ask why but just continue to tell her that “I'm all ears”, first things first I told her she can sleep-over if she wants & I was only worried of where she’d be going when the morning comes. When she started explaining why she came-over my mind went on a blackout & only to wake up with her sleeping in my arms on the very sofa where it all begun, I mean these no-strings attached relationship. It was the first time we ever spend the whole night together, that very morning I had to go for soccer training with my boys & I was expecting them to pick me up from my apartment. I had to wake her up & get ready for the boys but immediately when she woke she went straight to her purse to show me something, she pulled out yellow plastic bag which looked like it had a towel in it & when she pulled everything out only R200 notes fell on my floor. You know that scary exciting moment where you want to ask questions but you really can’t? I was there, I mean if she had that much money then why she said she had no place to stay that’s what I asked. “Do you trust me?” she asked, looking right into my eyes as if she could see my thoughts and honestly I didn't know what to say.

An hour later there was a knock on my door, it was one of those loud knocks that sounded like one of my drunk friends & without asking who it was I just yelled “Come in if you are not lost or selling”. To my surprised it was a gentleman I never saw in my life, clean-shaved guy so tall he didn't fit through the door without bending. He asked if I was alone & only then I realized he was a cop, he introduced himself as Investigating Officer Baloyi & he said he was looking for the Mayor’s daughter. “That lady is in trouble & we heard you kept her in your house meaning you are also in trouble”, when he softly explained the reasons of him being there. I couldn't speak because only then I was trying to figure out if he was in the right place, how would I know unless I call her to come through to the door from the sitting room. “Is this the Mayor’s daughter sir?”, I asked Mr Baloyi & that’s when she responded “yes I am” and at that very moment my thoughts ran wild. Here I thought she was a married woman or maybe engaged, but she was the daughters Mayor. I turned to the officer to ask “what did she do sir?”, “nothing” responded the officer and added by saying she’s been gone from home for over a week now. The Mayor had already opened a case of missing persons, when the officer was trying to explain to me the whole story she sprung out of the house like a mad man then the officer ran after her. As surprised as I was I realized that assumptions are all I ever had & now curiosity took over me, when I went back to the house I found that she left her phone & the money behind.


No comments:

Post a Comment