Monday 20 April 2015

Every Man Stands Alone At The ATM



For me being a fully productive and responsible adult the biggest challenge I had to face was "Acceptance"
Acceptance in term of my finances, my household, my lifestyle my general well being
Just like most people I always reached for far more than I can handle
Always had a need to grab and take on more than I could handle
You know, that nice R800 jean or those 1000 something designer shoes, labels in general.
And in doing so I got myself in a bit of debt, seemed like the month became just way too long lately and month end can't come too soon
The shitty part is "Money in, Money out" is the game you get to learn in your adulthood
Growing up when I asked for R100 from my parents and they told me they didn't have money and 2 hours later they come back with fruits and cool drinks I didn't understand why they would deny me some cash only to come back with a grocery receipt showing a few hundreds rands has been spent.
A hundred rand start to mean different things the older you get and more responsibilities you have. I have learn't when someone says I am broke when you ask them for money its not that they don't have money , well they do they just don't have money for you, period.
So in the recent months I started looking at the man in the mirror and I really saw him and he saw me. This one time I came up with this quote" Every man stands alone at the ATM" It still resounds in my head many years later it has a new and a redefined meaning in my life.

In retrospect I could have made a few better decisions and paid up some accounts on time then maybe just maybe I wouldn't have been in this current situation. That is how most people reason on the subject but I have come to accept my situation and I have come up with a plan to get back on track financially within the next few months.

Here is how I am doing it.

- Find out how much you owe in total
- Find out how many accounts/debits you have
- Calculate how much of your salary actually goes to your accounts and debits monthly

 The hard part now begins.

- Pay double instalments
- Stop taking anymore clothes or anything
- Really stop it, if you can't whatever you take at the shop pay a 50% of the price
- When you get sales calls stop the call right there and then because more you listen the sweeter the pitch


No comments:

Post a Comment